Saturday, 19 November 2016

Pinhole Camera – 4x5, 60mm (Build Part 1)

This is the second pin hole camera I started to make, and the first I have finished. The last camera was made out of Oak and used butt joints, this one is made out of Mahogany and uses dove tail joints.
IMG_1479
Cutting the tails and pins.
IMG_1482
A closer look… these were my first dove tail joints and whilst ok they weren’t as good as I’d hoped.
IMG_1483
Test fit. They fit together fine, but not as close as I’d have liked.
IMG_1486
I’d previously created a wider board by joining two pieces of stock together. In this case a cut the second piece in half, so I joined a half on either side of the first piece. I did this so I wouldn’t have to drill a hole for the pinhole on the join. I really wanted to see how the wood would look with a finish, so added some bee’s wax.
IMG_1637
I glued up two more pieces of stock for the back, this time I didn’t need to worry about the join being in the middle.
IMG_1639
I added a border for the film holder to fit into, and also cut a channel for the notch on the film holder to fit into.
IMG_1640
I cut a notch out of the side of the camera to let the film holder sit inside the box slightly so that the edge didn’t line up with the light seal. I added a lip all round the inside of the camera for the film holder to sit on.
IMG_1644
Test fit of the film holder. Once it fit correctly, I could add the hinges to allow the back to open to accept the film holder.
IMG_1645
Hinges added. I used brass ones and made sure to recess them.
IMG_1651
The film holder fits in quite snug.
IMG_1652
I still need to add some felt to act as a light trap. This will also give some spring for the catches to work with.
IMG_1657
Next I drilled a hole for the vertical spirit level.
IMG_1658
And same again for the horizontal one.
IMG_1662
Next I did the same for the tripod mounts.
IMG_1664
And again…
IMG_1667
With the tripod mounts and the spirit levels epoxied in, I added the catches.
IMG_1668
And drilled the hole for the pin hole to be installed. The pin hole will be glued on the inside, but I need to make sure that the outside won’t vignette as the wood is quite thick here, hence the step cuts.
IMG_1673
I added opaque sealant (black silicone) to the seams and a felt light trap. This also adds some pressure to the catches (which I had notched anyway to stop them flying open).
IMG_1674
Building the shutter, here you can see the holes for the magnets, and the magnets themselves.
IMG_1675
Holes drilled in the camera body ready for the magnets.
IMG_1676
I used the same black silicone sealant to glue the pin hole into the camera, then painted the inside of the camera with chalk board paint.
IMG_1678
Next was some furniture polish.
IMG_1685
All ready to go! Smile

No comments:

Post a comment